Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Grammar Police

Today I was blessed to have lunch with a great new friend. New as in someone I've met in the last 5 years because most of my friends I've known longer. Now, while at lunch she & I did as many mommy's will do when we manage to have an adult meal with no children, we talked about EVERYTHING. I loved it.

One of the many subjects we touched on is how we both believe Americans are becoming stupider. Now, before you write a bunch of I hate you comments hear me out. I may not be talking about you. And if I am....well....think of this as an intervention.

We both believe that society as a whole has been dumbed down especially when it comes to grammar, spelling & basically all of ELA. Most people do not know when to use to, too or two when writing. Further & farther seem to perplex most too. Their, there, & they're.....well don't even get me started.  She & I have come to the conclusion that Facebook, Twitter & texting do not help this problem. I mentioned to her that it is my husband's practice to type out a Facebook response or post first on Word then use spell & grammar check to correct his mistakes. He then copies & pastes it onto Facebook. Brilliant! She agreed more people need to adopt this idea.

Now I believe this problem is fixable. We  need to take the time to read more. That would give you the opportunity to read how the English language is supposed to be written & spoken. Then just take your time. Instead of writing wit type with. Really....the h will not kill you. Try in or and instead of n. And please....quit the slang. I hate seeing sista and memba instead of sister and remember.

So....lets try to read more, slow down & spell correctly. And when all else fails type it on Word first.

Ok....rant over.....I hope I don't loose any readers over this. Comment if you like but please keep it clean. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you....that was an error on my part. However, I would have perfered you not posted as anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. preferred, you mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the last Anonymous comment that will be allowed. Please take the time to leave your name. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete